Sunday, July 3, 2011

The Power of Paint

I normally would not do a post today, but I've been so busy I'm behind on a few so I'm playing catchup.
I'm been a very busy girl. Hubby took the two older boys camping this weekend for a guy trip. With them cleared out of the way and just the little guy around (and Scottie Dog) I pulled out the paint cans and started on that dining room! It took me forever to decide what I was going to do and I'm still not sure, but one thing I was sure about...those walls were going to take some serious priming so I figured I'd start there. At this point, I've climbed a ladder more times than I want to think about. I'm exhausted and about to sit down to a cup of coffee, some dark chocolate and a little Design, Inc. t.v. to build my strength back up!

I'm back and finishing up this post at 11:30 Sunday night. YAWN!

I also finally finished the cut-out rendition of the of where I'm headed with this room (using the very first original photo with the old hardwood floors):


Dining room mock-up with out wall art.
It's hard to see, but there is a very faint tone-on-tone damask stencil on the walls. The ceiling won't go quite that blue, but you get the general idea. I want more tailored slipcovers, but the table is very close to my ideal, albeit a little more polished. We're going for ROUGH! This was the best photo I could find that gave the right idea and angle for the table.

Now, just for fun, here is a visual review on where this room has gone in the last three years:


The way it was when we moved in.

Where I initially took it, but tired of the color after a couple of years.


Cleared out and ready for the makeover to begin!

Prepping and trimming out.

Where it's at now - wide angle lense - thus the funky curve on the columns:)

Cloudy afternoon shot.
I continue to be amazed at the power of paint! One of the reasons the green was initially chosen was to make the moulding detail pop. After looking at these, you can see it accomplished just that. Although I love the lighter side of the creamy white, it takes that visual pop away.

For some reason, I've noticed I have the hardest time going with white walls. I just automatically gravitate to color. Not bright obnoxious color, but the kind that is easy on the eyes yet stimulating. The average person seems to have trouble with being scared to use color. I am the total opposite. I have a hard time NOT using it. The muscles in my hands were fighting me today as I was putting so much white on the walls. Kind-of reminded me of those commercials where the man is fighting himself about changing the thermostat to a lower temperature! Comical:) Some of the best and most tasteful designs out there incorporate white walls and I'm ready to change up my approach to bring in color with fabrics and accents, versus what I've always done which is to use the walls for my main color.

Today, while I was putting the final coat on the walls (of the initial white primer) I had the thought that maybe I should paint the inside of the wainscoting to this time around or all the mouldings to create that visual contrast. That is a MUCH easier fix if I'm not happy with it later or feel like changing it up at some point. The trick is making it tie in seamlessly with the open hallway and foyer.

Did you notice that the globes are currently on the chandelier? It actually isn't bothering me as bad without the green or red walls. I'm still planning to change it up, though.

I haven't gotten to the ceiling yet. Getting the walls primed took a full 12 hours and three coats. Let me clarify...11 foot ceilings means A LOT of climbing up and down! Every muscle in my body is screaming "Go to BED!!!" But, first we had to go watch and and shoot off our own fireworks. Happy early 4th of July!

6 comments:

  1. I think it's going o look great! I'm moving toward white right now, too, and am loving it. Can't wait to see the finished room. The chandelier is gorgeous!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it is looking great, you poor thing! I suppose you are trying to get it all done before Daddy gets home? uh-huh...I've pulled a few of those tricks myself! I do like it..and you did lose a bit of "pop" but it looks wonderful. You just need to get used to seeing it for a while without the color~ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you will think I am crazy...[this coming from someone who's house is painted totally white!] but I like the white. It is just primer right? I think with white you can add color in the rug and art work. Can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yea...by the way thanks for your sweet comment on my blog...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going to look fabulous ... looking forward to the reveal !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old one!
    It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

    my web-site :: view it now

    ReplyDelete

One of the highlights of each day is hearing from my readers!

Follow Me on Pinterest