Our first tomatoes are coming in and tonight we made the first round of my Bruchetta or Italian Flat Bread (as the hubby calls it). I made sure to take pictures and they all just sat there and drooled while I took forever to make themJ.
And, as promised, I have typed up the recipe for you and taken lots of mouth watering pictures (not my best...had to hurry as I had some starving and impatient kiddos/hubby waiting) to illustrate it. Enjoy!
Miss Bee’s Bruchetta
fresh ripe tomatoes
fresh picked sweet basil, oregano, and rosemary
or Italian seasoning if you don’t have the last two, but the fresh Basil is a must!
chunk of the best wet mozzarella you can find
black pepper – fresh ground is best
extra virgin olive oil
Fresh ingredients are best and make a huge difference, but dried will work in a pinch.
Set oven to broil and allow to get hot while making.
- Slice the loaf of bread into ½” slices and lay on a cookie tray.
2. Brush olive oil over each slice.
3. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each slice.
4. Put in oven and toast lightly.
5. Remove from oven.
6. Peel and lay fresh tomatoes on each slice (I cheat and scald mine for a minute in boiling water then plunge in ice water, so the peels just slip off).
7. Roll up stacked basil leaves and slice with a knife then chop finely, or you can just lay the leaves on top of the tomatoes whole.
|How to roll basil leaves and slice, then dice.|
8. Sprinkle rosemary and oregano over each slice or the Italian seasoning.
9. Lay one or two slices of fresh mozzarella cheese over piece.
11. Eat until you feel like you couldn’t possibly eat another bite – and I don’t advocate that oftenJ.
This is such a super easy recipe, but does take a little time just to slice every thing up. If I can make these, anyone can. So, go make you some bruchetta and chow down!