Monday, January 23, 2012

Face-lift on the Cheap: Part 1c

I love this kitchen! It completely inspires me. How about you?
via DecorPad


I've been a bad, bad blogger! In my rush to get this rental finished, I've neglected to take pictures! Shame on me. Did I mention this house I'm working on is two hours away and the only time I can work there on site is weekends?! So, I do my regular stuff & planning all week, then hop in the car and take off to work on the weekends when hubby and grandma can watch kids! Can you say pooped - tired - exhausted? Even so, I am very grateful for a job I enjoy so much:)

This is another image I'm really feeling inspired by as the layout is the same except there is no peninsula:

Designer Kitchens
via houzz.com

This weekend I installed a 2"x4" subway tile, brick pattern backsplash in "Biscuit" ceramic tile.

American Olean 12"x12" Biscuit - which is considerably whiter than this images appears!
via Lowe's


Total cost for materials was only about $150! Not too shabby and the difference it made is amazing. Granted, I went through every sheet and separated out an entire box of sheets with at least one broken tile, which I then was able to get for half-price as extras to the box and a half I bought of intact sheets. I've ask someone to go take some pictures, so I can show you. Hopefully, I'll get some soon. I did remember to take "before" pics after I'd started removing cabinet doors!

Fortunately, what I'm working on this week is refacing cabinetry. So, my car is currently loaded down with every cabinet door from the house! As soon as the veneer comes in, I'll post pics on the process and show you (hopefully - if all goes as planned) a quick and cheap update for old cabinets.


Like what you see? Please let me know! Support my blogging by becoming a follower.

6 comments:

  1. I love a project like that but that's a long way from home to be able to work on it easily. The farthest I ever drove to do a rehab was an hour and that was far enough. I can't wait to see some pictures! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is! It's not often I get a chance to do nearly all the work myself, so I decided to give it a try despite the two hour drive. As much as I've enjoyed it, from now on, I'm sticking closer to home with this much work! I'm kicking myself for not taking more pictures this weekend:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What color grout did you use? The grout in the inspiration photo looks like a brown or gray. I'm going to install a 2"X4" subway tile backsplash using the white color and because the counter tops are Carrara marble, I'm thinking of using a light gray grout. I'm nervous though and would love to know what you'll be using. Can't wait for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because I am working with a number of textures in this kitchen (stained wood, butcher block laminate, stone look flooring...I used the same basic color grout as the tile. The tile is biscuit and the grout was "Vintage White". They aren't exactly the same, but the difference doesn't grab your attention and instead blends it all. Some solid color was much needed to tone down all the movement in texture and to tie it all together.

      If I were using white with Carrara, I'd probably go with a soft gray to carry the counter top colors up onto the backsplash or simply stick with all white. Either way it carries the counter top color up. Cabinet color has a lot to do with which to use as well. My suggestion is to go onto a website like Houzz or Decorpad and search "white subway tile" and "Cararra marble". Find some kitchens you like and see what was done there. It helps to visualize what the end product will be like. I'm sure it's going to be beautiful! Send a picture when you get it done. I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  4. I used to be suggested this web site through my cousin.
    I am now not positive whether this submit is written through him as nobody else realize such certain about my difficulty.
    You are amazing! Thank you!

    my website :: location voiture casablanca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly, you should be well aware of your own necessities and what you exactly want to accomplish with your website.
    With professional expertise and years of experience they can bring
    quality backlinks to your website. It would be optimum thought to
    select the local SEO service after checking the rank of their website.


    Look into my homepage ... Referencement site maroc

    ReplyDelete

One of the highlights of each day is hearing from my readers!

Follow Me on Pinterest