Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Where is she?!


via www.keepandshare.com



(Sunday morning:)

As I pry my eyes apart while trying to drink my second cup of coffee, I sit here and wonder if you all think I've fallen off the face of the earth? You're probably wondering, "Is she still blogging? Did she ever finish that rental face-lift, is she still alive?" The answer to all of the above would be yes!!!

The last month and a half have found me buried in more work than I ever should have taken on, and...frankly doubting my sanity! I'm sure you all did when I told you I was doing this face-lift two hours away that could only be done on weekends while trying to stay married and raise three little boys. You probably thought things like,
"She's NUTS"
"She's insane"
"She's a glutton for punishment"
"She's just flat out stupid"!

Frankly, I'm shocked any of you still read my crazy ramblings as I sit here and process just what all must have crossed your mind. You're one fantastic and patient group of people to put up with me...then again maybe you're just curious as to what the next stupid thing is that I'm going to do! That's it. You just need someone to laugh at. Well, go ahead. I deserve it. BUT...I've become a better person for it. I've learned my limits and some serious appreciation for tradesmen. Chalk it up to a learning experience.

So, about that rental...this morning I'm trying to give myself a pep talk to go finish up today. It's pouring rain and only 7:30 and I'm sick. I'd rather be in my bed at home getting ready to round up the crew for church. Not that I've not liked this job. I've loved it. I'm just ready to be done. Never again will I take on a job two hours away that can only be done on the weekends (not anyway where I'm doing most of the work)! It's kicked my tail.

Today I'm hanging cabinet doors, finishing a few minor details and then taking photos of the finished product. I'm also feeling like I've been hit by a truck. This week I succumbed to a nasty sinus and upper respiratory infection and I'm moving like a snail.

The biggest reason I took on this job was the challenge of it. Could I do it? Second, it presented an opportunity to practice some skills usually hired out to trades (for a good reason!). I have always felt like if you're going to make suggestions for things that are going to cost people money, you need to fully understand what you're talking about as well as the time and skill involved in the project for many reasons. Least of which would be negotiating costs for trade labor. The only REAL way to do that is to do it yourself once. You'll see things from a whole new perspective and have a much greater  appreciation for tradesmen. Folks, they don't charge those prices just to gouge you (anyway, not all the time)! This is some seriously time-consuming and hard work! But can I tell you how good it feels to look back and say, "I did it [and I'm still married]!"

As a side note, the hubby and homeowners deserve some serious praise for being so patient and willing to let me do this. It has been a fantastic learning experience. When I consider how much better it looks now and for no more than it cost, it's simply amazing! This was a fairly inexpensive face lift when you consider what all was accomplished. It just goes to show...if you invest in the RIGHT things, you don't have to spend a small fortune (remember...it's relative!) to make a place look 100% better. I'm not saying it's going to be cheap, but knowing what will give you the most bang for your buck is critical. So is knowing when to stop...because renovation can be like a run away train. One thing can lead to another and before you know it...you're in way over your head! Not that I've got any experience with that:)

Like what you see? Let me know! Please support my blogging by becoming a follower.

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the after photos! I'm sure its going to look great and will be worth all the hard work in the end.

    Laura
    www.happyroost.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to Blogland! I hope you have some pictures to share of the redos! Can't wait- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a challenge you've had! Looking forward to the pix!

    ReplyDelete

  4. مكافحة النمل الابيض ببريدة
    شركة تنظيف مجالس ببريدة
    شركة مكافحة حشرات بعنيزة
    مكافحة النمل الابيض بعنيزة
    Cleaning company in Buraidah is the most powerful companies providing cleaning services because it offers its workers trained and have experience in this field. The company uses modern methods and methods of cleaning and uses modern cleaning and rinsing equipment such as steam cleaning and other appliances used by the company in cleaning. Cleaning the houses, villas, palaces and companies. The company uses the method of steam cleaning, which kills germs and bacteria and is an effective solution for all types of dirt and stains

    ReplyDelete

One of the highlights of each day is hearing from my readers!

Follow Me on Pinterest